Out of all of them, I find myself drawn to creating silence, contemplation, and simplicity in my daily life. All of these things are such a challenge because I don't know when to slow down sometimes. Since I have put these into practice I find myself slowing down more and taking notice of the simple things that God has placed before me. One of the things I have been doing lately is turning the TV off. I am really bad about being in the house and keeping it on just to fill the silence. We hear noise all day long and to face silence can be rather unnerving. I am finding that I like the silence and I can hear my own thoughts better when I'm not distracted by senseless noise.
Simplicity ...what is that? To try and simplify my life feels like a lost cause sometimes. One way to simplify is to stop saying yes all of the time. I have said yes a lot over the past few months and now my schedule is a little packed. I love everything I'm committed to, but I've realized that I can't give my entire self to each of these things like I should. I am a quote/verse person and one of the quotes I read said "If you want to be spiritually healthy, you must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from you life"-Dr. Siang Tan. So true!
Here are some other ways to simplify. These are from a list we received and is a good place to start! Some of my favorites.
1.)Buy things for there usefulness and not for there status.
2.)Reject anything that is producing an addiction in you.
3.)Give things away!! Make it a habit :)
4.)Enjoy things without owning them. Go to the library and check out a book instead of purchasing one. Spend the day at a local park
5.)Let your yes be yes and your no be no!! Don't use words to impress. Be honest and straight forward with your speech.
6.)Shun anything that keeps you from seeking first the Kingdom of God
This weekend has been a weekend where I have not been on anyone's schedule but my own. Surprisingly I accomplished a lot on my to do list. I cleaned the house, went for walk with Bella, made a yummy lunch on Saturday, and started reading Redeeming Love for the second time. Such a great book! I have a life time to learn these disciplines but I am in no hurry and God has all the time in the world. That is so refreshing.
Bella watching the squirrels.
Love it Jennifer!
ReplyDeleteKelle told me you had a blog and saw it listed on your facebook page :)
I love reading about what is going on in women's spiritual lives - it encourages me in my walk. Thank you for sharing! Love your pictures and love that your heart.
Candace
love you, sweet jen. your writing is so encouraging :)
ReplyDeleteYeah! Welcome to the blogging world! I'm so excited I can keep up with you here as well!
ReplyDeleteLove this post too.. it's so true!