Tonight at the Good Friday service, I walked away with a sense of mourning and sadness. Like I lost a friend. The mental images of Jesus' death are so vivid on my mind right now. I have heard this story numerous times but this is the first time I have truly had a personal connection. I am sad.
I keep picturing Jesus' mother Mary.
She raised him, she witnessed his first steps, she took care of his cuts and bruises, she watched him grow from a boy to a man. I am not a mother yet, but I can only imagine how helpless she felt watching her son suffer in pain and agony...... all for us. What was going through her mind? Did she want to run and save him? Did she want to dissapear and just weap? Was she angry with God? Did she feel cheated by God for taking her son away so soon?
Here is her child dying for the entire world and sacrificing HIS body to save us from the pit. She could not take care of these cuts and bruises.
What do you think Mary prayed to God for during her mourning?
I think she prayed for God to help her understand all of this and why he choose her. Why did she have to endure this pain of watching her son's death unravel before her eyes? I think she prayed for strength because she probably had none left. The light of her world was gone. I think she prayed for peace within her soul because she felt as if her soul had been ripped out. I think she asked God to be with those who grew to love and know him so well? They lost there beloved and dear friend.
One day, maybe I will get to meet Mary and ask her all these questions.
Below is a link to a Patty Griffin's song titled "Mary". I love this song and thought about it as I was writing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxpvKuEruk
For the Glory of it all is He came here. For the rescue of it all that we may live.
No comments:
Post a Comment